Waynesboro in the present was founded and property lots laid out in 1798 by John Wallace thus named Wallacetown. Later the town name changed to Waynesburg up until 1830 when the town name was changed to Waynesboro.
Waynesboro has a rich industrial and skilled trade history. Many inventors, engineers and skilled craftsman have worked here.
Noted clock makers of Waynesboro include
- Jacob Wolf (1795-1865)
- Peter Grumbine (1807-1867)
- John McCaskey (arr. 1888)
- Fred Frick (1863-1934)
- Landis Program Clocks (1910-1937)
- W.G. (Bill) Newcomer (1892-1990)
- Kitzmiller Waynesboro Jewelry Store Astronomical Clock
Phonograph Manufacturer of Waynesboro
Deca-Disc Phonographs (1922-1932)